Reupholstering pros and cons
Is it worthwhile to have your furniture professionally reupholstered?
Have you considered engaging a professional reupholstery service to give your furniture a brand new look and feel? Professional reupholstery is a great way to extend the life of a favorite sofa or chair, or to preserve a precious family heirloom. Many people aren’t fully aware of how successful a reupholstery renovation can be in making worn or damaged furniture look lovely again. Unfortunately too much old furniture ends on curb and in landfills, when they might have been given new life with professional reupholstery.
How much does it cost to have furniture reupholstered?
The price of reupholstery services will vary according to the size and complexity of the piece and the materials you choose. Your professional reupholstery service can give you an estimate of the cost if you provide an accurate description of your furnishing. It’s ideal if you can provide photos of front, back and sides of the piece plus specific measurements. Knowing the cost of reupholstering will help you decide whether or not to restore a given piece.
Profession upholstering should definitely be seriously considered if your furniture falls into any of these categories:
- When it has sentimental value, especially when is a precious family heirloom, handed down from generation to generation.
- When it is a piece that was custom-built or otherwise not easily replaced that fits perfectly in a specific space, or accommodates a particular need, or is simply delightfully unique. If you love the piece and/or it meets a specific need, it’s definitely worthwhile to restore it by having it professionally reupholstered.
- When it is a high-quality piece of furniture that is well-crafted and, particularly if its components are valuable, such as parts made of precious wood.
- When you are happy with the over-all style and comfort of your furniture but want to modernize it or give it a new look as part of your re-decorating scheme.
How can you determine if your furniture falls into the category of “high quality?”
An easy rule of thumb is this: If your furniture is more than 20 years old and hasn’t begun to fall fallen apart, it is probably of a quality that makes it worth restoring. Inferior-quality furniture rarely lasts so long. The quality of the framework is most significant. In general, older furniture tends to have sturdier framework than newer models. You can often get a good feel for how solid the framework is in a chair or sofa by simply sitting on it. If the frame feels sturdy, and if any coil springs are in good condition, the piece is worth saving.
Not sure if it’s worth keeping and renovating furniture for “sentimental reasons?”
Nobody can really attach a dollar value to our feelings and emotions. If your furniture means a lot to you for any reason, it is worth considering having it restored. Family heirlooms may come through the years looking rather worn and ragged, but there is surely irreplaceable value in their age and in what they represent to you and to other family members. You can’t put a price on the fond memory of your grandfather dozing on the couch on Sunday afternoons, or recalling how you felt as a small child being rocked by Auntie Nelda in that worn, comfy rocking chair.
Memories and feelings simply can’t be bought or replaced, so instead of hiding that old battered furniture in the basement, why not make it shine again by having it professionally repaired and reupholstered?
And even if your furniture doesn’t have huge sentimental value, it may have real worth when it is your comfortable favorite — the chair that you sink into gratefully at the end of the day, enjoying its familiar comfort while you read or watch tv — or the couch that’s more comfortable for napping than your bed. If your favorite furniture fits you, it also may well merit reupholstering to make it attractive for many more years of good use.
Still not sure? Lets list the pros and cons of having your furniture reupholstered.
- You are effectively “recycling” your chair or sofa rather adding it to the ever-growing mass of landfill.
- You can continue to enjoy the comfort of your favorite chair or sofa instead of spending money on a (probably) less comfortable replacement.
- You can give your old furniture a great new look by choosing a completely different material for upholstering.
- You can hang onto and continue to use antique furniture, often made of sturdier materials with more durability than most new furniture.
- It’s not always easy to identify a quality reupholstering service. Be sure to choose a reputable service where you can get your questions, are offered a good selection of materials and reasonable prices, and you feel good entrusting your furniture to their care.
- Professional reupholstering takes some time when it is done right. It may be faster to buy new furniture if you’re in a hurry.
If you’re looking for a professional furniture reupholstery or restoration service in the Portland area, Lim’s Upholstery is a great choice, where high-quality professional furniture restoration has been offered since 1985. We have more than 80 years of cumulative experience in furniture restoration and our staff has a wide range of diverse skills to address all aspects of restoration. We are known for our attention to detail and meticulous work. Please call (503) 643-8028 to get in touch with us.